A fourth person has died from injuries sustained during a tragic Hope Mills car accident last week. Brooke Paquin, whose boyfriend, Tristan Hanna, also was killed in the motor vehicle crash passed away on Saturday.
Brooke and Tristan were heading to Wrightsville Beach when, according to witnesses, Hanna’s vehicle accelerated to 65 mph, which was over 20 mph above the speed limit, before driving into oncoming traffic and striking the vehicle carrying Hien Truong, his wife Huyen, and baby daughter Hannah, who was about to celebrate her first birthday.
Hien, Hannah, and Tristan all died that night. Huyen was transported to a hospital where she was admitted in critical condition. Tristan’s father says his son, who has epilepsy, may have been having a seizure when the deadly North Carolina car accident happened.
At least 11 other people died in North Carolina car crashes last week. Among the fatalities:
• A three-vehicle Wake Forest auto wreck on Highway 1 claimed the life of Robert Ernesto Harris.
• Two people, Bryan William Meyer and Justin Christopher Thomas Dufur, were killed in a single-vehicle Raleigh auto accident. According to police, Dufur was driving 15 mph above the 45 mph speed limit.
• Melinda Grossman was fatally struck while trying to pick up a cat that had been struck by another auto. The Carrboro traffic crash victim was 60.
• 16-year-old passenger Gavin Boyd Westover died from injuries he sustained in a Knightdale auto crash.
• Two young siblings, 6-year-old Hassan Bingham and 9-year-old Calvin Brandon, died in a Durham train crash when a train hit their mom’s SUV.
Week of wrecks leaves 15 people dead, WRAL, December 14, 2009
Father: Seizure may have led to fatal Hope Mills wreck, WRAL, December 14, 2009
Fourth person dies of injuries from Hope Mills crash, FayObserver, December 13, 2009
Related Web Resources:
Car Accidents, Justia
North Carolina State Highway Patrol
National Safety Commission